Monday, December 5, 2011

A Gingerbread Town: A Study of Economics

The minute I saw the idea for making a gingerbread town I just knew my class had to do it. In previous years I've made a town with my class as an extension to our mini-economic unit. It always turned out cute but I just knew with the added gingerbread theme it would just be beyond. I am so thrilled with way it turned out, and the kids are so proud! As an added bonus I finally found a way to cover our economic standards in a way the kiddos really connected to. So here's what I did:

Day 1: Needs and Wants- We watched the Brainpop Jr. on Needs and Wants and then we made a list of needs and wants.

Day 2: Good and Services- Adding on to day one's lesson we watched the Brainpop Jr. on Goods and Services. We then did the sorting activity on EconEdLink (we had a little trouble using this with our SMART board, not sure why). As an assessment the kids did this and this worksheet I found on education.com.

Day 3: Goods and Services in a Town- After reviewing our list of needs and wants we generated a list on the SMART board (I just typed into a SMART notebook as the kids gave ideas). We discussed how each idea satisfied the needs and wants on our previous list.

Day 4: Sorting Goods and Services- We used our ideas from Day 4 and sorting them into two groups goods and services. The kids really understood the concept at this point, and they did awesome with this.

Day 5: Creating a Town and Workers- This was the best! Each child choose a building to make for our town. In addition they created a "gingerbread worker" that would work at their selected business (i.e. a doctor for the hospital, a fireman for the fire station). They also created a house just for fun. =) Most of the kids really got into this and it turned out so great. Check out the pics below to see our creation!

I hope this gives you some ideas for creating a gingerbread town with your own little sweeties! I really can't say enough how much the kiddos loved this unit.












Happy Teaching!
Jessie

10 comments:

  1. Love this. Could you show all of your I can statements?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are providing great information in your blog. I have read a lot of blogs and articles, but in your blog I have understood many benefits and things in my good way, requesting you to continue with your work. My new blog is also related to spacebar counter, if you read it in a good way then that blog will benefit you. Check out my new post on space bar click test. Please visit my website and let me know your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing post! .I appreciate your hard work. Thank you for sharing. I have also shared some useful information. Bondic Review on Ossward.org

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fastest and safest ride to the airport in London.Clean and comfortable cars. Fully licensed taxi services. one of the most trusted taxi services in London. Meet & greet. special airport rates.
    Book in under 60 seconds. Professional drivers.24 hours assistance. Our services include taxi transfers to Gatwick, Heathrow, London, Luton & Stansted airport. we are here to make you comfortable and hassle less for. Friendly and reliable taxi service at competitive prices. Our commitment to you is quality and long-lasting.

    ReplyDelete

  5. Croydon Cars MiniCab Service in London UK,Choose our Minicab for a quick trip and safely to get to the Gatwick Airport, Heathrow Airportalso offers some services to minicab drivers who are not associated with itin the area of Croydon and in other towns.We are offer Low Fair for Airport Transfers from Croydon everyday such as ?Croydon Minicabs ?Shirley Minicabs ?Waddon Minicabsand etc.We want to welcome you to our new corporate website:www.croydoncar.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  6. An Indian Restaurant & Takeaway in Croydon. We serve a wide range of delicious Asian & Indian food. We offer online ordering and table booking.For reservation call 02036678566


    adeenaskitchen.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. An Indian Restaurant & Takeaway in Croydon. We serve a wide range of delicious Asian & Indian food. We offer online ordering and table booking.For reservation call 02036678566


    adeenaskitchen.co.uk

    ReplyDelete